Sunday, August 29, 2021

Hawaiian Pita Pizza

I love pizza. Unfortunately, having type 2 diabetes means I can only have a slice or two, depending on their size, and that's not generally very filling so I tend to avoid it. Seeking a lower carb alternative and find a thin crust, I turned to using whole high fiber pitas as the crust. 

The sauce is already relatively low carb, and I try to get one that is around 5 grams per tablespoon. Cheese is naturally lower carb and meats are usually carb free or very low carb. Adding vegetables or fruit can make the carb count go up quickly so best to minimize how much you use of them. This recipe was about 22 carbs for each pizza. Half a pizza is about the size of one slice of pizza.

Ingredients:

High fiber pita (8-inches)
Pizza sauce
Shredded cheese
Canadian bacon
Chicken bacon
Pineapple

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425F. Put the pita in the oven for several minutes to toast for a crunchier shell.

2. Cover the toasted pita with the pizza sauce, cheese and toppings.

3. When the oven is heated, place the pizza on the top shelf. Cook for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

4. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then enjoy.

If you try the recipe, let me know what you think of it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polish Pickle Soup in One Pot

As I mentioned in my last post, I love pickles. When I saw a post on Tumblr mentioning pickle soup last night, I just had to try it. Many of...