Sunday, August 22, 2021

Quick Pickled Radishes

I love radishes and I love pickled things. I recently saw a friend use pickled radishes with a dish she shared on Facebook and I had to try it. My first batch was made with whatever I had in the kitchen that would work with it so it wasn't perfect (I blended white and red vinegar to get enough to fill the jar), but it was good enough to let me know that it was something I wanted to try to do again and follow a recipe that I, of course, altered. This is a blend of two recipes so that there's a bit of kick.


Ingredients:

Red radishes (as many as needed to fill the jar)
1
cup white vinegar
1
cup water
4 Sweet 'N Low packets

1
tablespoons sea salt
½
teaspoon mixed peppercorns
½ teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced onions
Chili flakes to taste
Jar with a lid

Directions:

1. Mix the water, vinegar, sugar and sea salt in a pan and heat for one minute to allow the sugar and salt to dissolve. Blend the peppercorns, garlic, onions and chili flakes into the brine. Set aside to cool.

2. Thinly slice the radishes and add to the jar.

4. Add the liquid, cover and put in the fridge.

Pickled radish slices will be ready to eat in about 1 hour. The radishes should have a light pink color when they're ready to eat. If you decide to half the radishes rather than slice them, it will take about 12-18 hours to be ready. They can be stored for two weeks. 

Bonus Recipe: Quick Pickled Carrots

Follow the recipe as above but use whole baby carrots. I also added a ½ teaspoon of cinnamon as it goes so well with carrots but not sure how it will work with the pickling. I'll have to let you know how it tastes! These will need to set overnight to really get pickled up nicely as they're a pretty dense vegetable.

Reviews

The radishes after an hour or so were delicious. I cannot wait to try them today! They have a bit of a kick, which I think comes from the chili flakes, but it just makes them more delicious in my mind. The brine is a lovely bright pink color, too, so I know I did it right.

If you try the recipe, let me know what you think of it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Polish Pickle Soup in One Pot

As I mentioned in my last post, I love pickles. When I saw a post on Tumblr mentioning pickle soup last night, I just had to try it. Many of...